At Pinehurst Primary School, we are using the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. RWI is a method of learning based upon letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
When using Read Write Inc to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using ‘Fred Talk’
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
When using Read Write Inc to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in ‘Fred Talk’
- write simple sentences
- Learn to write words by saying the sounds and graphemes (Fred fingers)
When using RWI the children will;
-work in pairs:
-take turns talking and listening to each other
-give positive praise to each other
Child learn to read words by sounding-blending (Fred talk) eg. c-a-t = cat, sh-o-p = shop.
Read Write Inc Books
Please encourage your child to read though the speed sounds page first, then the green and red words page and then check your child understands the meaning of words on the vocabulary check page, before they start reading the book. At the back of the book are find it/prove it questions for you to do with your child.
For more information please ask your child’s class teacher, Miss Thomas or visit the links below: