Science is a time for children to explore their curiosity. Children undertake practical experiments to investigate questions they pose. They predict and explore questions on a number of topics and build skills around scientific enquiry. They begin to appreciate the way science will affect their future on a personal, national, and global level. Children are encouraged to make links between subjects and science is taught both discreetly and also through other subjects, making cross curricular links, e.g within writing, the children may write explanations of the life cycle of a butterfly.
Children are confident in doing science by demonstrating a willingness to modify ideas and take risks. They seek to collaborate and work cooperatively with their peers, using a range of learning techniques. Children are also given the opportunity to work independently, and are encouraged to do so with scientific thought.
Children view themselves as scientists in the process of learning. They look forward to doing science by demonstrating a desire to learn more.
Science is moderated and assessed regularly in order to gain a knowledge of their progress and in order to take the learning forward.
Key skills that the children will develop
- To have secure subject knowledge from the curriculum that is age appropriate
- Develop questioning skills and decide how they might find answers to them.
- Solve problems by thinking critically, both independently and when working with each other.
- Make predictions, plan fair tests and carry out scientific investigations.
- Use a range of equipment safely and in a variety of ways communicate their knowledge and understanding using key vocabulary.
- Link and communicate their knowledge to Numeracy, Literacy and Reading.
Please see below for our
|Y1 Everyday Materials.pdf||Download|
|Y1 Animals Including Humans 2 terms.pdf||Download|
|Y1 Seasonal Change Autumn Winter.pdf||Download|
|Y1 Seasonal Change Spring Summer.pdf||Download|
|Y2 Living Things and Their Habitats.pdf||Download|
|Y2 Animals Including Humans B.pdf||Download|
|Y2 Animals Including Humans A (3 activities for end Summer 1).pdf||Download|
|Y2 Uses of Everyday materials B.pdf||Download|
|Y2 Plants ( 3 activities for begin Summer 1).pdf||Download|